In case you didn’t read the comments from the last post – that first paragraph came true within hours of arriving at my parent’s house. Obviously my step-dad did not read the post at that point, because he wasn’t sure why everyone else was giggling under their breath as not only the iPhone was brought out, but the new MacBook as well. And no, Dad, I’m not making fun – I really want an iPad and I don’t know that my puppy-dog eyes are working when I mention it to Tom, so hopefully he was impressed.
The next morning we did some last-minute shopping and then trekked up the canyon for our cabin-adventure with my dad (biological, in case you are confused at this point) and Jackie. Despite Ella being pretty sick with either a nasty cold or mild flu, we had a great time and hopefully made some lasting memories for the kids (minus Sophie, but she’ll at least be able to reference pictures).
Some of my favorite moments:
- Oh yes, I forgot about these mountains – looming above me. So very tall.
- Tortilla soup.
- Hiking to Stewart Falls. Carrying Ella, who didn’t feel well enough to hike, hopefully burning off at least one of Kari’s cookies in the process.
- Making gyros and tzatziki (one of my self-proclaimed specialties), with Sophie on my hip, an iPod ear-bud for each of us, singing and dancing – multi-tasking at its best.
- Group effort BBQ.
- Talking and laughing on the deck.
- Toasted marshmallows at the fire-pit, pointing out trees and plants along the short walk (including the very scientifically named [by Ella] Humongous Leaf).
- Animal pancakes.
- Coloring with the kids.
- Cascade Springs – timed perfectly – back in the cars minutes before the rain started.
- Dad’s chili during the downpour.
- Pente – oh I need to buy this game! I suck. No I don’t.