Tom, Ella and I spent our afternoon scoping out houses. Every week, I go and drive by the ones I’ve found online, to see if they are in an area I like, and decide if I want to keep them on my list or dump them. I do this to save time, realtor wise. I don’t want her to make appointments for all of these homes and then find out that the house is sitting right on top of a railroad crossing. Instead, I can narrow them down and check out only the ones that look promising.
Today we narrowed my list of 12 potential homes to 5. Two of which I’ve already seen, and one that is probably too far away anyway. The two that we’ve already seen, happen to be homes that really don’t fit our needs. I’m just hanging on to them out of desperation. They both had qualities that I love, and I’m unwilling to let them out of my sight, just yet.
I’m not sure if this dim-housing-situation is a good thing or a bad thing. Our home in Utah has not sold yet. I’ve seen several homes that we really liked be purchased, while we had no choice but to wave goodbye. So if we found our dream home, what good would it do? On the other hand, what if our house does sell soon? I’m feeling a little “eh” about the possibilities right now. We have a six month lease on our apartment, and it’s going to be a pain to get out of that lease. It could mean that we have more time to look and be picky. But it could also mean that we end up trying to find a home in winter time, when the market isn’t exactly bursting at the seams.
As we were checking out one of the homes on my list, we drove past the most beautiful white, dutch colonial. It was a for-sale-by-owner, so I wrote down the info and did some research once we got home. I was surprised that I actually found it on a website, and even more surprised to find out the price was double our budget. Of course. We spent all afternoon looking at “eh” homes, and the first interesting one is completely out of range. I’m guessing that they are probably asking too much, considering the prices of near-by homes, but I am also guessing that it won’t ever be lowered 50%.
We’ve had a decent amount of traffic at our Utah home, this week, and we have an open house next weekend. Despite the slim pickings here, I really hope that our home sells. My family (especially my mom) have been working so hard to keep the yard in good condition, and I am hoping it pays off. Please think of us, this week, when you are deciding who to send your good karma too. I promise to send some back.